This Geeky Blog |The Bag Project #1

Nothing is more inspirational for a sewing project than seeing an absolutely outrageous price on an item in store. In this case, as you might have guessed, is a bag.

I was taking a wee wander after work one day, and I thought I’d pop into the local TK Maxx for a gander. I have a certain skill – a family trait – of being able to zone in on the most expensive item in a shop or catalogue, and this visit was no exception.

Strolling through the bag aisles, I see it… flowers. On closer inspection, embroidery. I pick it up, it’s sizeable and weighty – comfortingly so. I find the tag, and…


Eight-hundered British pounds.

I should add here that I’m not one to spend big bucks on bags. I don’t get it, not for me, but if bags are your thing, have at it!

So anyway, that price was a hard no, so I left the bag behind and went on my merry way. But I couldn’t stop thinking about it; my mind kept wandering back to the pricey bag in TK Maxx, and the more I thought about it, the more I both loved it and loathed it. Perhaps I could make one for myself… but to do that I needed more information, I needed pictures, and my internet searches had all been fruitless.

A week after the first sighting, I popped back into the same TK Maxx on a fact-finding mission, working on the assumption that, unlike more stock, an £800 bag probably wouldn’t have gone anywhere. As predicted, it was still there, and I was able to snap a quick photo and establish the designer (Stella McCartney, no wonder the extortionate price).

On second viewing, I liked the bag fabric less, but the design more, and armed with a name and a photo, I was able to head off back to the old World Wide Web and gather more detailed information, in the process finding out that the bag originally retailed for £1,095 (a big no) but my research turned up pictures and measurements:

Thank you, internet!

So armed with this information, a note pad, and a brain whirring at a million miles an hour, I decided that I’d make my own. From scratch. And hand embroider it all.

No biggy, right?

From this measurements and the photos, I drew some measurements, and while at first I considered the construction over the top, I decided to give it a whirl. It took a while to de-construct the measurements, sketch out a few nets, convert the inches to centemeters and then mock up a physical net. I like to think I nailed it first time:

Nailed it?

So with all this done, and finally realising the sheer quantity of embroidery that will be involved in this project, time to go away and ponder construction, the lining, pockets (because there has to be pockets) and general but how??!! conundrum unfuddling.

Hopefully I’ll have more for you next month!

If you fancy supporting This Geeky Tangent, pop over to the shop.


  1. So I read this at work and had my reply all queued up but I must have shut the window. So here I am, late for the first time! 💜
    I can’t wait for the rest of this journey. M living vicariously through you because the extent of my sewing is my pant hems because I’m tiny lol
    I like this because the savings will be big AND you can customize it to perfection!

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.